India’s animal husbandry sector plays a crucial role in the country’s economy, contributing significantly to milk, egg, meat, and wool production. Let’s dive into the key highlights of the Basic Animal Husbandry Statistics 2022 in a simplified and easy-to-understand format.
These latest animal husbandry statistics and data for 2022 serve as important study material for agriculture students as well as aspirants preparing for various agriculture sector government jobs like Agriculture Officer, Agricultural Research Officer, Horticulture Officer etc.
- Total milk production in 2021-22 reached 221.06 million tonnes, showing a growth rate of 5.29%.
- The top five milk-producing states are Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, and Andhra Pradesh.
- India produced a total of 129.60 billion eggs in 2021-22, marking a 6.19% increase from the previous year.
- The major egg-producing states are Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, West Bengal, and Karnataka.
- The country’s meat production in 2021-22 reached 9.29 million tonnes, with an annual growth rate of 5.62%.
- The top five meat-producing states are Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana.
- India’s wool production in 2021-22 was 33.13 thousand tonnes, experiencing a decline of 10.30% compared to the previous year.
- The major wool-producing states are Rajasthan, Jammu and Kashmir, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Himachal Pradesh.
- The per-capita availability of milk in 2021-22 was 444 grams/day, showing an increase of 17 grams/day from the previous year.
- The per-capita availability of eggs in 2021-22 was 95 eggs/annum, which increased by 5 eggs/annum from the previous year.
- The per-capita availability of meat in 2021-22 was 6.82 kg/annum, experiencing an increase of 0.30 kg/annum from the previous year.
Value Addition and Sector Growth:
- From 2014-15 to 2020-21, the value addition in the animal husbandry sector grew at a compound annual growth rate of 7.93%.
- In 2020-21, the livestock sector contributed 30.13% to the Agriculture Sector and 4.9% to the total Gross Value Added (GVA).
|Parameter||Production||Growth||Top 5 Producing States|
|Milk||221.06 million tons||5.29%||Rajasthan (15.05%),
|Eggs||129.60 billion||6.19%||AP (20.41%),
|Meat||9.29 million tons||5.62%||Maharashtra (12.25%),
|Wool||33.13 thousand tons||-10.30%||Rajasthan (45.91%),
Keeping updated with the annual Indian livestock output figures across milk, eggs, meat and wool along with key metrics like production volumes, growth rates, per capita availability etc helps build in-depth subject knowledge regarding the animal husbandry domain.
India’s animal husbandry sector continues to thrive, with notable growth in milk, egg, and meat production. However, wool production witnessed a decline. The per-capita availability of milk, eggs, and meat also showed positive trends, reflecting an increased supply. The sector’s value addition and its contribution to the overall economy remain significant, reinforcing the importance of animal husbandry in India’s agricultural landscape.